About This Position
The Staff Attorney represents tenants citywide in all aspects of housing law in accordance with THC Law Office’s purpose and mission. The Staff Attorney executes their duties in accordance with THC’s Mission, Core Values, and Customer Service Philosophy.
- Counsel tenants to achieve resolution of disputes with their landlord.
- Litigation of cases on behalf of tenants: initial investigation, drafting complaints and responsive pleadings, discovery, dispositive motions, trials and appeals.
- Work with community organizations to advance tenants’ rights.
- Compliance reporting for government contracts.
- Represent the agency in a professional manner.
- Additional duties as assigned
- California Bar membership
- One-year civil or criminal litigation experience required
- Commitment to advancing the rights of the underrepresented
- Understanding and interest in working with low-income and minority clients
- Ability to independently handle a moderate-large case load
- Must have thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Adobe reader.
- Must be able to work independently and be detail oriented
- Must be able to manage multiple tasks and projects with limited guidance in a fast-paced environment and meet strict deadlines with excellent attention to detail.
- Experience with people of diverse cultural and economic backgrounds preferred
- Must have outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Must have ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from judges, clients and the general public
- Must have ability to read, understand, apply language, and make independent decisions based on all applicable laws, policies, and contracts
- Must be a proactive self-starter with the ability to take initiative
- Must pass all post-contingency offer background checks, reference checks, and TB screening clearances.
- Experience working in non-profit or public sector preferred.
Required Behavioral Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrates passion, commitment, and behavior that are consistent with THC’s Mission, Core Values, and Customer Service Philosophy.
- Adapts well to change, and remains professional, respectful, and composed at all times.
- Must be mature, honest, dependable, and accountable.
- Establishes and maintains effective and appropriate relationships and boundaries, and communicates with clients, co-workers, and external parties in a manner that fosters respect and trust.
- Exercises good judgment in using and/or keeping information regarding clients, employees, and THC confidential.
- Works well independently, collaboratively, and as a team member.
- Follows instructions completely and asks for help and/or guidance from supervisors when needed.
- Has good time management skills and is punctual to work, THC meetings, hearings, trials, and other events.
- Takes pride in work and performs all assigned duties diligently, efficiently, and effectively.
How to apply
To apply for any THC position you see here:
- Online: Upload your resumé online using the Apply button below
- By email: Email your resumé and cover letter to email@example.com
- In person: Stop by our 449 Turk Street office to drop off your resumé
We look forward to hearing from you!