About This Position
The Paralegal I provides assistance to Tenderloin Housing Clinic’s (THC) Legal Office. The Paralegal I executes their duties in accordance with THC’s Mission, Core Values, and Customer Service Philosophy.
- Paralegal duties including interviewing clients in order to prepare responses to discovery, preparing and sending out subpoenas, organizing document responses, obtaining public records
- Photocopying & faxing
- Extensive filing, including the creation of new filing systems
- Assist with special projects as needed
- Litigation support including preparing documents for court filings.
- Greet existing and potential clients of the law office, determine their eligibility and need for legal services, and refer to other services when necessary.
- Limited tenant counseling under supervision of lawyer
- Run errands as needed
- Arrange & schedule court appearances, depositions, conferences and meetings
- Represent the agency in a professional manner
- Maintain client database
- Additional duties as assigned
- High School degree required-BA preferred
- Must have thorough working knowledge of electronic filing systems in state court; working knowledge of electronic filing systems in federal court preferred.
- Must have thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Adobe reader.
- Must be able to work independently & be detail oriented
- Must be able to manage multiple tasks and projects with limited guidance in a fast-paced environment and meet strict deadlines with excellent attention to detail.
- Experience with people of diverse cultural and economic backgrounds preferred
- Must have experience with preparation and filing of legal documents under time sensitive conditions.
- Must have outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Must have ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from clients and the general public.
- Must have ability to read, understand, apply language, and make independent decisions based on all applicable laws, policies, and contracts.
- Must be a proactive self-starter with the ability to take initiative
- Must pass all post-contingency offer background checks, reference checks, and TB screening clearances.
- Experience working in non-profit or public sector preferred.
Required Behavioral Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrates passion, commitment, and behavior that are consistent with THC’s Mission, Core Values, and Customer Service Philosophy.
- Adapts well to change, and remains professional, respectful, and composed at all times.
- Must be mature, honest, dependable, and accountable.
- Establishes and maintains effective and appropriate relationships and boundaries, and communicates with clients, co-workers, and external parties in a manner that fosters respect and trust.
- Exercises good judgment in using and/or keeping information regarding clients, employees, and THC confidential.
- Works well independently, collaboratively, and as a team member.
- Follows instructions completely and asks for help and/or guidance from supervisors when needed.
- Has good time management skills and is punctual to work, THC meetings, and events.
- Refrains from actions that may result in conflict or may be determined as aggressive, threatening, or violent.
- Takes pride in work and performs all assigned duties diligently, efficiently, and effectively.
How to apply
To apply for any THC position you see here:
- Online: Upload your resumé online using the Apply button below
- By email: Email your resumé and cover letter to email@example.com
- In person: Stop by our 449 Turk Street office to drop off your resumé
We look forward to hearing from you!