About This Position
The Transitional Housing Planning Specialist is responsible for assisting clients on probation and participating in a 12-month clean and sober Transitional Housing Program build life skills and obtain permanent housing in accordance with Tenderloin Housing Clinic’s (THC) Mission, Core Values, and Customer Service Philosophy.
- Provide permanent housing placement, life skill building, and housing stability support to up to 30 participants staying in the clean and sober Transitional Housing Program.
- Meet with clients regularly to conduct intakes, create Permanent Housing Plans, and assess ongoing ability to reach identified goals.
- Collaborate with intradepartmental THC staff, Adult Probation Department, and other community partners to ensure effective and coordinated participant services to increase participant stability, especially as it pertains to their housing.
- Participate in regular case conferences for Transitional Housing Program participants.
- Perform all follow-up tasks and work closely with Probation Officers and other case management partners to support participants.
- Assist participants with unit habitability issues and regularly accompany hotel manager on monthly pest control and unit inspection visits.
- Build an active participant community and environment of support by hosting regular community events, participant groups, and social activities.
- Maintain current and thorough documentation and database records of participant contact and services provided. Maintain all participant files, including file creation, ongoing maintenance of files and archival of files. Conduct regular audits of case files to ensure compliance with program expectations.
- Respond to participant-related crises, including providing de-escalation intervention and support to highly agitated participants.
- Report all suspected and known incidents of abuse and/or neglect to supervisor and appropriate entities when necessary.
- Develop relationships with landlords/housing providers to find immediate and/or long-term placement for participants.
- Participate in regularly scheduled Transitional Housing Program Orientation meetings.
- Prepare regular reports and submit to the Transitional Housing Programs Manager.
- Respond to all phone messages, participant requests, staff requests, and emails as appropriate and in a timely manner.
- Attend all meetings as scheduled and participate in meetings as requested.
- High School degree or equivalent required; BA/BS degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working directly with diverse, low-income individuals required. Experience working with persons who are or have been incarcerated strongly preferred.
- Working knowledge of the adult criminal justice system, knowledge of the National Institute of Corrections’ Principles of Effective Intervention and the Six Gender Responsive Strategies for Women Offenders, and a thorough understanding of criminal justice criminogenic needs and community functioning factors strongly preferred.
- Must have a thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must have an ability to complete paperwork accurately and write business correspondence.
- Must have demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- Must have experience working within databases, and have excellent data entry skills.
- Must have a strong working knowledge of mental health and substance abuse issues.
- Must have an ability to read, understand, and apply language from manuals, policies, technical procedures, and instructions.
- Must have demonstrated customer service skills.
- Must read, communicate orally, and write in English.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment with excellent attention to detail.
- Must meet criteria for APD security clearance to enter and work at APD offices and inside the County Jail.
- Must pass all post-contingency offer background checks, reference checks, and TB
- screening clearances.
- Knowledge of San Francisco housing resources strongly preferred.
- Experience working in non-profit or public sector strongly preferred.
- Bilingual abilities preferred.
How to apply
To apply for any THC position you see here:
- Online: Upload your resumé online using the Apply button below
- By email: Email your resumé and cover letter to email@example.com
- In person: Stop by our 449 Turk Street office to drop off your resumé
We look forward to hearing from you!