About This Position
The Director of Facilities is responsible for the overall effective operations of Facilities. This position is responsible for Master Lease management and hotel-owner relations, infrastructure upgrade projects, and routine and preventative maintenance of the leased and owned properties operated and occupied by Tenderloin Housing Clinic (THC). This position partners with other THC leaders to create, implement, and oversee the maintenance of safe, clean, and supportive residential environments in accordance with THC’s Mission, Core Values, and Customer Service Philosophy.
Leadership and Management
- Oversee and ensure the hiring, training, direction, supervision, development, evaluation, and performance management of the facilities staff in accordance with THC policies and directives.
- Conduct regularly scheduled facilities leadership and team meetings, supervisions, and trainings to motivate staff for success, promote team building, create professional and technical skill development, and establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ensure appropriate staff development and training is provided for the facilities team and self.
- Ensure all facilities staff are aware of and correctly implement all safety rules and regulations, and all policies and procedures.
- Hold facilities staff accountable for high levels of performance, team work, and quality customer service.
- Provide strong leadership, vision, and direction to the facilities staff that engender trust and respect.
- Lead the facilities management team and play the central leadership.
Strategic and Financial Oversight
- Lead the development of uniform department policies, procedures, methods for oversight, short-term objectives, and long-range goals to improve the department.
- In conjunction with the Director of Property Management, develop a department business plan and corresponding budget(s) that support both the short- and the long-term objectives of the agency.
- Actively participate on THC’s executive leadership team, and play a role in making agency-wide policy and strategic direction decisions.
- Lead the department management team in incorporating into its work the organization’s strategic objectives and long-term organizational goals.
- Review reports submitted by managers, examine areas needing improvement, and create, implement, and maintain solutions.
- Review, approve, and/or seek approval of expenditures within specified budgetary parameters.
- Negotiate and/or evaluate contracts and make recommendations, as assigned.
- Develop, implement, and maintain internal cost controls and procedures that provide operational and fiscal control, cost savings, projections, planning, forecasting, uniformity and effective utilization of assets and properties.
- Ensure sound financial management of properties and inventory are being followed.
- Evaluate potential new properties and make recommendations.
Administration and Operations
- Ensure the highest standards are maintained, and evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of all department programs and work.
- Ensure the department meets safety, quality, and financial goals and objectives.
- Ensure the department’s adherence to all compliance requirements outlined in regulatory and/or applicable legal documents.
- Oversee the monitoring and/or audits of department programs to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures, and prepare information for regulatory agencies when required.
- Produce regular reports for supervisors, funders, and regulatory agencies, as assigned.
- Participate in internal and external meetings and committees, as directed
- Audit property quality, inventory, and maintenance areas to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures, and approve all exceptions to established policies and procedures.
- Know terms of all master leases and direct maintenance work in accordance with master lease provisions.
- Act as primary liaison between THC and owners of THC operated properties with regard to facilities and maintenance issues.
- Establish and coordinate a communication system between maintenance staff to ensure appropriate monitoring and control of property issues and operations.
- Oversee the ordering, allocation, and tracking of all facility and maintenance resources.
- Oversee process for maintenance of inventory at each property.
Physical Assets and Maintenance
- Implement comprehensive preventative maintenance program and ensure compliance at each property.
- Review short- and long-range plans for correcting deficiencies and for normal maintenance of the properties.
- Obtain bids, manage bid and award process, provide recommendations, and assure appropriate project oversight of work products of outside contractors.
- Work with the Associate Director and Facilities Managers to develop approved vendor list, to be renewed annually.
- Supervise vendors and contractors, as necessary.
- Supervise the capital replacements required or anticipated at each property as needed.
- Ensure that properties are kept in a condition that are safe, habitable, and are aesthetically pleasing for residents.
- Ensure that THC’s unit turnover goals are met.
- Ensure maintenance requests are processed in accordance with THC policy.
- Review the condition and the operations of properties, make recommendations for improvements, and implement and maintain solutions.
Safety and Compliance
- Ensure compliance requirements outlined in regulatory agreements and/or other legal documents are adhered to at all times, including but not limited to the proper storage of hazardous and flammable materials at each site.
- Respond promptly when requested for information from regulatory and/or financial agencies, which might include but is not limited to, research, preparation, compilation, tracking, and submission of reports in an accurate and timely manner.
- Attend meetings requested by regulatory agencies.
- Represent THC in legal matters relating to habitability, building code and ordinances, and property liability when necessary.
- Lead Disaster Committee and assist in the development and execution of safety committee programs.
- High School Degree required; BA/BS degree strongly preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of continuous work in a comparable position.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of proven leadership and hands-on experience training and managing maintenance staff.
- A minimum of 3 years of responsibility for Facilities Operations in a comparable residential setting strongly preferred.
- Must have a valid California’s Driver’s License and a good driving record.
- Must have a thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must have an ability to produce and analyze reports consistently and accurately, and write business correspondence and agency policies/procedures.
- Must have ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees, clients, funders, governmental agencies, and the general public.
- Must have an ability to read, understand, apply language and concepts, and make independent decisions based on policies, governmental regulations, technical procedures, general business periodicals, professional journals, and contracts.
- Must have demonstrated analytical, critical thinking, problem-solving, strategic thinking, and planning skills.
- Must have conflict resolution experience.
- Must have demonstrated customer service skills.
- Must be results-oriented, highly organized, very detail-oriented, proactive, resourceful, able to manage multiple high-level projects with strict timetables, and have solid administrative follow-through while working in a fast-paced environment.
- Must read, communicate orally, and write in English.
- Must pass all post-contingency offer background checks, reference checks, and TB screening clearances.
- Experience working with diverse, low-income, homeless and/or formerly homeless population strongly preferred.
- Experience working in non-profit or public sector preferred.
Required Behavioral Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrates passion, commitment, and behavior that are consistent with THC’s Mission, Core Values, and Customer Service Philosophy.
- Demonstrates exceptional leadership qualities such as maintaining vision, expectations, and energy for positive improvement and results.
- Desires and has the ability to empower direct reports to achieve the agency’s goals and carry out the Mission and Core Values of THC.
- Adapts well to change, and remains professional, respectful, and composed at all times.
- Possesses very high levels of integrity, creditability, dependability, and accountability.
- Establishes and maintains effective and appropriate relationships and boundaries, and communicates with clients, co-workers, and external parties in a manner that fosters respect and trust.
- Exercises good judgment in using and/or keeping information regarding clients, employees, and THC confidential.
- Works well independently, collaboratively, and as a team member.
- Has good time management skills and is punctual to work, THC meetings, and events.
- Refrains from actions that may result in conflict or may be determined as aggressive, threatening, or violent.
- Takes pride in work and performs all assigned duties diligently, efficiently, and effectively.
How to apply
To apply for any THC position you see here:
- Online: Upload your resumé online using the Apply button below
- By email: Email your resumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In person: Stop by our 449 Turk Street office to drop off your resumé
We look forward to hearing from you!