About This Position
The Associate Director of Property Management oversees the operations and budget for a portfolio of residential hotels and/or apartments. This position ensures that property management and supportive housing services are responsive to the needs of tenants and support high levels of tenant retention in accordance with Tenderloin Housing Clinic’s (THC’s) Mission, Core Values, and Customer Service Philosophy.
Leadership and Management
- Hire, train, direct, supervise, develop, evaluate, and performance manage the daily activities of staff in accordance with THC policies and directives.
- Conduct regularly scheduled meetings, supervisions, and trainings to motivate staff for success, to promote team building, to create professional and technical skill development, and to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ensure staff are aware of and correctly implement all safety rules and regulations and all policies and procedures.
- Hold staff accountable for high levels of performance, team work, and quality customer service.
Administration and Operations
- Work with the department leadership to develop systems and procedures that improve the operations and services of the department, that foster program development, and that support the achievement of program objectives and outcomes.
- Partner and coordinate within the department and with other THC departments to meet objectives and ensure comprehensive services.
- Attend, participate in, and facilitate all meetings, as requested.
- Monitor department compliance with contracts, including conducting regular file audits and monitoring other building systems such as tenant complaint and turnover processes, key protocols, etc.
- Coordinate between the Supportive Housing Manager (SHM) and the Housing Services Department to assure prompt move-in of new tenants.
- Oversee timely tenant rent collection, ensure THC non-payment and nuisance eviction prevention procedures are followed, and coordinate unlawful detainer process with the Property Management attorney.
- Represent the agency at eviction and other legal proceedings, as required.
- Attend tenant meetings and special events in order to foster strong community relations.
- Fulfill SHM responsibilities when there are gaps in staffing.
- Review, approve, and/or seek approval of expenditures within specified budgetary guidelines.
- Makes regular visits to each portfolio property to ensure compliance with company policy and to review operations. Meet with tenants formally and informally on a regular basis to address concerns and build rapport.
- Collaborate with the appropriate staff in the development of property goals related to maintenance and infrastructure upgrades.
- Ensure safe management operations and community health and safety at residential buildings.
- Ensure appropriate files and records are kept for legal and reporting purposes.
- BA/BS degree in Hospitality Management, Social Work or related field required; MA/MS degree in related field preferred.
- California Certified Residential Manager (CCRM) Certification preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years of experience training and managing staff.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years of experience managing operational and programmatic functions, with property management and/or facilities responsibilities preferred.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in a non-profit that includes direct or indirect experience with multi-diagnosed, low income, homeless or formerly homeless adults strongly preferred.
- Must be able to respond to after-hour urgent phone calls and/or emergencies.
- Must want to work in a Supportive Housing Model.
- Must have a basic understanding of the eviction process and terms of tenancy.
- Must have an understanding of a Harm Reduction Model in a supportive housing context.
- Must have a history working with people with mental health and substance abuse issues.
- Must have a thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must have an ability to produce and analyze reports, and write business correspondence.
- Must have an ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees, clients, and the general public.
- Must have an ability to read, understand, apply language, and make independent decisions based on policies, governmental regulations, technical procedures, and contracts.
- Must have demonstrated analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Must have conflict resolution experience.
- Must have demonstrated customer service skills.
- Must be a proactive self-starter with the ability to take initiative, develop action steps/goals, and follow through on action steps to goal completion.
- Must read, communicate orally, and write in English.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects with limited guidance in a fast-paced environment and meet strict deadlines with excellent attention to detail.
- Must pass all post-contingency offer background checks, reference checks, and TB screening clearances.
Required Behavioral Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrates passion, commitment, and behavior that are consistent with THC’s Mission, Core Values, and Customer Service Philosophy.
- Demonstrates leadership qualities such as maintaining vision, expectations, and energy for positive improvement and results.
- Desires and has the ability to empower direct reports to achieve the agency’s goals and carry out the Mission and Core Values of THC.
- Adapts well to change, and remains professional, respectful, and composed at all times.
- Must be mature, honest, dependable, and accountable.
- Establishes and maintains effective and appropriate relationships and boundaries, and communicates with clients, co-workers, and external parties in a manner that fosters respect and trust.
- Exercises good judgment in using and/or keeping information regarding clients, employees, and THC confidential.
- Works well independently, collaboratively, and as a team member.
- Follows instructions completely and asks for help and/or guidance from supervisors when needed.
- Has good time management skills and is punctual to work, THC meetings, and events.
- Refrains from actions that may result in conflict or may be determined as aggressive, threatening, or violent.
- Takes pride in work and performs all assigned duties diligently, efficiently, and effectively.
How to apply
To apply for any THC position you see here:
- Online: Upload your resumé online using the Apply button below
- By email: Email your resumé and cover letter to email@example.com
- In person: Stop by our 449 Turk Street office to drop off your resumé
We look forward to hearing from you!