About the Position
The Administrative Associate – Housing and Rental provides high-level administrative support to the Director of Housing Services and the department’s managers, and maintains the administrative functions of the Housing Services Department in accordance with Tenderloin Housing Clinic’s (THC) Mission, Core Values, and Customer Service Philosophy. This position also assists with the front office and the administration of client and tenant financial transactions.
- Safeguard tenant/client and agency monies and be accountable for check security policies.
- Photocopy, fax, file, sort checks, and perform miscellaneous administrative tasks.
- Conduct administrative tasks associated with Check Day, Quick Check, and the Rental Payment Period in such a way that it is efficient and supportive to tenants/clients.
- Support THC’s tenant/client intake process by opening files for new and/or returning tenants/clients, by ensuring all documents have been collected, filed, and copies have been sent to appropriate inter-departmental staff, and by ordering background checks from the National Tenants Network and emailing the results to appropriate inter-departmental staff.
- Review and enter program withdrawals; close tenant/client files and ensure proper storage of these files; maintain an organized and effective archival system for department files that allows staff to find and access files easily.
- Prepare and deliver bank deposits in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Review and enter initial and ongoing intakes and rental payments in accordance with THC’s goals to decrease homelessness and to increase housing retention.
- Ensure accuracy when recording tenant/client debits and credits for bank and agency purposes, and when photocopying and distributing rental intakes and checks.
- Provide coverage that is warm, welcoming, and hospitable for front desk reception, and serve as a substitute for the Office Coordinator- Housing as needed.
- Assist in the administering of rent payments to landlords and disbursements to tenants/clients in an effort to maintain tenants’/clients’ housing.
- Deliver checks to MPP satellite sites and/or hotels/landlords in a timely and accurate manner.
- Respond to all phone messages, tenant/client requests, staff requests, and emails as appropriate and in a timely manner.
- Maintain confidentiality of client records and concerns.
- Attend all meetings as scheduled and participate in meetings as requested.
- High School degree or equivalent required; BA/BS degree preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 1 year of experience in administration/office management.
- Must have a minimum of 1 year of experience working directly with diverse, low-income, homeless or formerly homeless population.
- Must have a minimum typing speed 50 w.p.m.
- Must have a thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must have an ability to complete paperwork accurately and write business correspondence.
- Must have demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- Must have experience working within databases, and have excellent data entry skills.
- Must have experience working with clients with mental health and substance use issues.
- Must be able to perform basic math calculations with minimal mistakes.
- Must have an ability to read, understand, and apply language from manuals, policies, technical procedures, and instructions.
- Must have demonstrated customer service and reception skills.
- Must read, communicate orally, and write in English.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment with excellent attention to detail.
- Must have demonstrated organizational and filing skills.
- Must have the ability to walk a distance of up to 1.5 miles while performing errands.
- Must have the ability to clearly explain services, operations, and office rules while listening effectively to client/tenant, staff, and visitor requests.
- Must pass all post-contingency offer background checks, reference checks, and TB screening clearances
- Experience working in non-profit or public sector preferred.
- Bilingual abilities preferred.
Required Behavioral Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates professional behavior that is consistent with THC’s Mission, Core Values, and Customer Service Philosophy.
- Adapts well to change, and remains professional, respectful, and composed at all times.
- Must be honest, dependable, and accountable.
- Establishes and maintains effective and appropriate relationships and boundaries, and communicates with clients, co-workers, supervisors, and external parties in a manner that fosters respect and trust.
- Exercises good judgment in using and/or keeping information regarding clients and co-workers, and adheres to THC’s confidentiality policy.
- Works well independently, collaboratively, and as a team member.
- Follows instructions completely and asks for help and/or guidance from supervisors when needed.
- Has good time management skills and is punctual to work, THC meetings, and events.
- Refrains from actions that may result in conflict or may be determined as aggressive, threatening, or violent.
- Takes pride in work and performs all assigned duties diligently, efficiently, and effectively.
How to apply
To apply for any THC position you see here:
- Online: Upload your resumé online using the Apply button below
- By email: Email your resumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In person: Stop by our 449 Turk Street office to drop off your resumé
We look forward to hearing from you!