About This Position:
The Staff Attorney represents tenants citywide in all aspects of housing law in accordance with THC Law Office’s purpose and mission. The Staff Attorney executes his/her duties in accordance with THC’s Mission, Core Values, and Customer Service Philosophy.
• Counsel tenants to achieve resolution of disputes with their landlord.
• Litigation of cases on behalf of tenants: initial investigation, drafting complaints and
responsive pleadings, discovery, dispositive motions, trials and appeals.
• Work with community organizations to advance tenants’ rights.
• Compliance reporting for government contracts.
• Represent the agency in a professional manner.
• Additional duties as assigned
• California Bar membership
• One-year civil or criminal litigation experience required
• Commitment to advancing the rights of the underrepresented
• Understanding and interest in working with low-income and minority clients
• Ability to independently handle a moderate-large case load
• Must have thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Adobe reader.
• Must be able to work independently and be detail oriented
• Must be able to manage multiple tasks and projects with limited guidance in a fast-paced environment and meet strict deadlines with excellent attention to detail.
• Experience with people of diverse cultural and economic backgrounds preferred
• Must have outstanding oral and written communication skills
• Must have ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from judges, clients and the general public
• Must have ability to read, understand, apply language, and make independent decisions based on all applicable laws, policies, and contracts
• Must be a proactive self-starter with the ability to take initiative
• Must pass all post-contingency offer background checks, reference checks, and TB screening clearances.
• Experience working in non-profit or public sector preferred.
REQUIRED BEHAVIORAL SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Demonstrates passion, commitment, and behavior that are consistent with THC’s Mission, Core Values, and Customer Service Philosophy.
• Adapts well to change, and remains professional, respectful, and composed at all times.
• Must be mature, honest, dependable, and accountable.
• Establishes and maintains effective and appropriate relationships and boundaries, and communicates with clients, co-workers, and external parties in a manner that fosters respect and trust.
• Exercises good judgment in using and/or keeping information regarding clients, employees, and THC confidential.
• Works well independently, collaboratively, and as a team member.
• Follows instructions completely and asks for help and/or guidance from supervisors when needed.
• Has good time management skills and is punctual to work, THC meetings, hearings, trials, and other events.
• Takes pride in work and performs all assigned duties diligently, efficiently, and effectively.
How to Apply:
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.Apply for Position… Go Back to Job Listing…