Human Resources Manager: Operations
About This Position:
Under the general direction of the Director of Human Resources, the Human Resources (HR) Manager: Operations oversees employee labor relations, leaves, benefits, safety and workers compensation. The HR Manager: Operations ensures HR functions are delivered in accordance with Tenderloin Housing Clinic’s (THC) Mission, Core Values, and Customer Service Philosophy.
Leadership and Management
• Hire, train, direct, supervise, develop, evaluate, and performance manage the daily activities of staff in accordance with THC policies and directives.
• Oversee Human Resources staff and functions in benefits, employee relations, leaves of absence, workers compensation and safety.
• Conduct regularly scheduled meetings, supervisions, and trainings to motivate staff for success, promote team building, create professional and technical skill development, and establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Ensure staff are aware of and correctly implement all safety rules and regulations, and all policies and procedures.
• Hold staff accountable for high levels of performance, team work, and quality customer service.
• Provide leadership, vision, and project direction that engender trust and respect.
• Serve as the backup to the HR Director and HR Manager: Recruitment and Learning in their absence.
Administration and Operations
• Participate in the leadership activities to develop systems and procedures that improve the operations and services of the department, that foster program development, and that support the achievement of program objectives and outcomes.
• Partner and coordinate within the department and with other THC departments to meet objectives and ensure comprehensive services.
• Attend, participate in, and facilitate all meetings, as requested.
• Protect the interests of employees and the agency in accordance with agency HR policies and governmental laws and regulations.
• In conjunction with Director of HR, improve, maintain, and implement personnel policies, procedures, and processes.
• Review and approve invoices and billing related to the HR Department, as assigned.
• Monitor HR reports and progress on HR metrics.
• Be able to fill in and assist with all activities regarding employee labor relations, benefits, and employee leaves of absence and safety activities.
Labor Relations & Performance Management
• Ensure the agency is in compliance with the most current Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• Oversee employee labor relations, including communications, investigations, grievances and employee corrective actions and ensure they are in compliance with THC policy and the most current Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• Identify problem areas and develop best practices for maintaining positive labor relations and appropriate support for management.
• Participate with the Director of HR and Deputy Director during union negotiations, and provide strategic suggestions for contract negotiations, communications, meetings, and grievances.
• In conjunction with HR Manager: Recruitment and Learning, ensure comprehensive performance review processes are in place.
• Advise Director of HR and the HR Manager: Recruitment and Learning regarding performance trends and make recommendations to optimize support and development opportunities that promote equity and drive employee performance.
Leaves, Benefits, Safety and Workers Compensation
• Supervise the Senior Advisor responsible for Leaves, Benefits, Safety and Workers Compensation.
• In conjunction with Director of HR conduct research and procure benefit packages that are robust, competitive and meet the needs of employees.
• Ensure that employee benefits program is effectively administered.
• Ensure effective leave management policies and processes that are in compliance with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
• Oversee a robust health and safety program that limits agency liability with regard to employee injury and illness.
• Maintain Injury, Illness and Prevention Plan.
• Lead initiatives to measure employee engagement and morale in the workforce.
• Develop and lead trainings for THC staff
• Work in collaboration with the HR team to complete priority projects and address emerging issues.
• Assist in development and maintenance of HRIS.
This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions. It does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
• BA/BS degree in a related field or 5 continuous years of relevant experience required.
• PHR or SPHR Certification preferred.
• Must have a minimum of 3 years of experience in the human resources field.
• Must have a minimum of 2 years of experience training and/or supervising staff.
• Must have a minimum of 2 years of experience with labor relationships in a union environment.
• Strong commitment and understanding of issues surrounding access, equity, diversity, inclusion, implicit bias, and systemic and institutional racism.
• Must have knowledge of HR laws and the ability to apply them in practice.
• Must display good judgment and be able to gather and analyze information skillfully.
• Must have a thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
• Must have an ability to produce and analyze reports, and write business correspondence.
• Must have an ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees, clients, and the general public.
• Must have an ability to read, understand, apply language, and make independent decisions based on policies, governmental regulations, technical procedures, and contracts.
• Must have demonstrated analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
• Must have conflict resolution experience.
• Must have demonstrated customer service skills.
• Must be a proactive self-starter with the ability to take initiative, develop action steps/goals, and follow through on action steps to goal completion.
• Must read, communicate orally, and write in English.
• Must be able to manage multiple projects with limited guidance in a fast-paced environment and meet strict deadlines with excellent attention to detail.
• Must pass all post-contingency offer background checks, reference checks, and TB screening clearances.
• Experience working with diverse, low-income, homeless and/or formerly homeless populations strongly preferred.
• Experience working in non-profit or public sector strongly preferred.
• Familiarity with timekeeping/HRIS preferred.
REQUIRED BEHAVIORAL SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Demonstrates passion, commitment, and behavior that are consistent with THC’s Mission, Core Values, and Customer Service Philosophy.
• Demonstrates leadership qualities such as maintaining vision, expectations, and energy for positive improvement and results.
• Desires and has the ability to empower direct reports to achieve the agency’s goals and carry out the Mission and Core Values of THC.
• Adapts well to change, and remains professional, respectful, and composed at all times.
• Must be mature, honest, dependable, and accountable.
• Establishes and maintains effective and appropriate relationships and boundaries, and communicates with clients, co-workers, and external parties in a manner that fosters respect and trust.
• Exercises good judgment in using and/or keeping information regarding clients, employees, and THC confidential.
• Works well independently, collaboratively, and as a team member.
• Follows instructions completely and asks for help and/or guidance from supervisors when needed.
• Has good time management skills and is punctual to work, THC meetings, and events.
• Refrains from actions that may result in conflict or may be determined as threatening or violent.
• Takes pride in work and performs all assigned duties diligently, efficiently, and effectively.
How to Apply:
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.Apply for Position… Go Back to Job Listing…