About This Position:
The Paralegal I provides assistance to Tenderloin Housing Clinic’s (THC) Legal Office. The Paralegal I executes his/her duties in accordance with THC’s Mission, Core Values, and Customer Service Philosophy.
• Paralegal duties including interviewing clients in order to prepare responses to discovery, preparing and sending out subpoenas, organizing document responses, obtaining public records
• Photocopying & faxing
• Extensive filing, including the creation of new filing systems
• Assist with special projects as needed
• Litigation support including preparing documents for court filings.
• Greet existing and potential clients of the law office, determine their eligibility and need for legal services, and refer to other services when necessary.
• Limited tenant counseling under supervision of lawyer
• Run errands as needed
• Arrange & schedule court appearances, depositions, conferences and meetings
• Represent the agency in a professional manner
• Maintain client database
• Additional duties as assigned
• High School degree required-BA preferred
• Must have thorough working knowledge of electronic filing systems in state court; working knowledge of electronic filing systems in federal court preferred.
• Must have thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Adobe reader.
• Must be able to work independently & be detail oriented
• Must be able to manage multiple tasks and projects with limited guidance in a fast-paced environment and meet strict deadlines with excellent attention to detail.
• Experience with people of diverse cultural and economic backgrounds preferred
• Must have experience with preparation and filing of legal documents under time sensitive conditions.
• Must have outstanding oral and written communication skills
• Must have ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from clients and the general public.
• Must have ability to read, understand, apply language, and make independent decisions based on all applicable laws, policies, and contracts.
• Must be a proactive self-starter with the ability to take initiative
• Must pass all post-contingency offer background checks, reference checks, and TB screening clearances.
• Experience working in non-profit or public sector preferred.
How to Apply:
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tenderloin Housing Clinic is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to a work environment that values diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.