Attorney - Property Management
About This Position:
The Property Management Attorney represents Tenderloin Housing Clinic’s (THC) Property Management Department in all eviction matters, counsels THC in the drafting of leases or notifications to tenants, provides legal guidance as needed in small claims cases and in regard to policy and procedure, and may be called upon to defend Property Management in affirmative lawsuits. The Property Management Attorney executes his/her duties in accordance with THC’s Mission, Core Values, and Customer Service Philosophy.
• Review eviction requests for tenants of THC, ensuring that enough documentation exists to successfully prosecute a Non-Payment or Nuisance Eviction case.
• Consult Housing Retention Plans, THC’s Rental Database, and THC staff as needed, and in conjunction with Director of Property Management, decide the best course of action for eviction cases.
• Litigate Unlawful Detainers on behalf of THC, which includes: drafting Nuisance 3-day notices, Unlawful Detainer complaints, and responsive pleadings; engaging in discovery; handling dispositive motions; drafting stipulation agreements; and engaging in trial litigation.
• Represent and/or provide legal counsel when THC is named in affirmative lawsuits, both general liability cases and small claims cases.
• Maintain legal files and statistics on all lawsuits, including both unlawful detainers and affirmative cases.
• Research, provide counsel, and write position memos regarding federal, state, and local laws as they pertain to THC policies, procedures and practices, as assigned.
• Supervise legal interns working on behalf of THC on THC lawsuits and conducting legal research.
• Attend, participate in, and facilitate all meetings, as requested.
• Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree required.
• Must have a license to practice law in the State of California, and must be in good standing with the California State Bar.
• Must have a minimum of 2 years of experience practicing landlord-tenant law.
• Must have strong knowledge of San Francisco landlord-tenant law and contract law.
• Must be familiar with San Francisco Superior Court procedures.
• Must have outstanding oral and written communication skills, including being a good listener.
• Must have an ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees, clients, and the general public.
• Must have an ability to read, understand, apply language, and make independent decisions based on all applicable laws, policies, and contracts.
• Must have demonstrated analytical, critical and strategic thinking, and problem-solving skills.
• Must have conflict resolution experience.
• Must have demonstrated customer service skills.
• Must be a proactive self-starter with the ability to take initiative, develop action steps/goals, and follow through on action steps to goal completion.
• Must read, communicate orally, and write in English.
• Must be able to manage multiple cases and projects with limited guidance in a fast-paced environment and meet strict deadlines with excellent attention to detail.
• Must pass all post-contingency offer background checks, reference checks, and TB screening clearances.
• Experience working with diverse, low-income, homeless or formerly homeless population preferred.
• Experience working in non-profit or public sector preferred.
REQUIRED BEHAVIORAL SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Demonstrates passion, commitment, and behavior that are consistent with THC’s Mission, Core Values, and Customer Service Philosophy.
• Adapts well to change, and remains professional, respectful, and composed at all times.
• Must be mature, honest, dependable, and accountable.
• Establishes and maintains effective and appropriate relationships and boundaries, and communicates with clients, co-workers, and external parties in a manner that fosters respect and trust.
• Exercises good judgment in using and/or keeping information regarding clients, employees, and THC confidential.
• Works well independently, collaboratively, and as a team member.
• Follows instructions completely and asks for help and/or guidance from supervisors when needed.
• Has good time management skills and is punctual to work, THC meetings, and events.
• Refrains from actions that may result in conflict or may be determined as aggressive, threatening, or violent.
• Takes pride in work and performs all assigned duties diligently, efficiently, and effectively.
How to Apply:
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.Apply for Position… Go Back to Job Listing…