Community Organizer (CCSRO)
About This Position:
The Community Organizer works to organize and empower single room occupancy (SRO) hotel tenants within the Tenderloin and South of Market (SOMA) neighborhoods to improve their home and neighborhood, increase social engagement, and build a greater sense of community in accordance with Tenderloin Housing Clinic’s (THC) Mission, Core Values, and Customer Service Philosophy.
• Participate in activities as directed by the Community Organizing Manager to meet contractual standards and requirements.
• Conduct client outreach in SRO residential hotels in the Tenderloin and SOMA neighborhoods.
• Work with clients to identify, research, and develop solutions to improve issues in their SRO and neighborhood.
• Work closely and coordinate with department employees to staff “walk-in” hours at the 48 Turk Office and to manage client caseload and follow-ups.
• Learn and stay abreast of San Francisco Housing and Health Codes in order to effectively advocate on behalf of clients.
• Respond to client complaints about housing and/or habitability received by phone, on a walk-in basis, and through outreach, and advocate for clients around tenant/landlord disputes and habitability concerns. This includes, but is not limited to, writing letters to landlords, building managers, and/or hotel operators requesting repairs for code violations, and then monitoring cases until abatement.
• Facilitate community meetings and informational workshops.
• Recruit and train interested client volunteers to be tenant leaders to 1) organize tenants within their SROs to proactively identify, discuss, and improve issues within the SRO or neighborhood; and 2) facilitate tenant meetings in SROs.
• Facilitate meetings and training sessions for the Tenant Leadership Program that develop community organizing and leadership skills in interested client volunteers.
• Participate with community-based organizations (CBO) on housing and habitability campaigns and community coalitions.
• Participate in creating multi-lingual forms, flyers, and informational documents needed for the program.
• Maintain appropriate documentation to demonstrate that all contractual requirements are met. Participate in timely and accurate filing of progress reports required by the funder(s).
• Stay abreast of services and programs being provided by other CBOs and government agencies by fostering working relationships with them.
• Provide referrals to clients and connect them to relevant services offered by CBOs and government agencies.
• Respond to all phone messages, client requests, staff requests, and emails as appropriate and in a timely manner.
• Attend all meetings as scheduled and participate in meetings as requested.
• High School degree required; BA/BS degree preferred.
• Must have a minimum of 1 year of experience working with and on behalf of low-income tenants.
• Must be committed to social change through developing leadership in SRO tenants and in low-income residential communities.
• Must have a thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
• Must have an ability to complete paperwork accurately and write business correspondence.
• Must have demonstrated problem-solving skills.
• Must have an ability to read, understand, and apply language from manuals, policies, technical procedures, and instructions.
• Must have demonstrated customer service skills.
• Must read, communicate orally, and write in English.
• Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment with excellent attention to detail.
• Must pass all post-contingency offer background checks, reference checks, and TB screening clearances.
• Experience working with diverse, homeless and/or formerly homeless population strongly preferred.
• Experience in the fundamentals of researching, planning and participating in community campaigns preferred.
• Community organizing experience preferred.
• Experience working in non-profit or public sector preferred.
How to Apply:
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.Apply for Position… Go Back to Job Listing…