Director of Housing Services
About This Position:
The Director of Housing Services manages a team of approximately 20 staff and is responsible for assisting clients in attaining and maintaining housing through direct rental subsidies and/or money management services in accordance with THC’s Mission, Core Values, and Customer Service Philosophy. These programs are the first line of client services at THC’s drop-in center requiring approachable, collaborative, accountable and motivational leadership.
Leadership and Management
• Oversee and ensure the hiring, training, direction, supervision, development, evaluation, and performance management of the department staff in accordance with THC policies and directives.
• Conduct regularly scheduled department and team meetings, supervisions, and trainings to motivate staff for success, promote team building, create professional and technical skill development, and establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Ensure appropriate staff development and training is provided for the department and self.
• Ensure all department staff are aware of and correctly implement all safety rules and regulations, and all policies and procedures.
• Hold department staff accountable for high levels of performance, team work, and quality customer service.
• Provide strong leadership, vision, and direction to the department that engender trust and respect.
• Lead the department’s management team and play the central leadership role for the department.
Strategic and Financial Oversight
• Lead the development of uniform department policies, procedures, methods for oversight, short-term objectives, and long-range goals to improve the department.
• In conjunction with the Director of Programs, develop a department business plan and corresponding budget(s) that support both the short- and the long-term objectives of the agency.
• Actively participate on THC’s executive leadership team, and play a role in making agency-wide policy and strategic direction decisions.
• Lead the department management team in incorporating into its work the organization's strategic objectives and long-term organizational goals.
• Review reports submitted by managers, examine areas needing improvement, and create, implement, and maintain solutions.
• Review, approve, and/or seek approval of expenditures within specified budgetary parameters.
• Negotiate and/or evaluate contracts and make recommendations, as assigned.
Administration and Operations
• Ensure the highest standards are maintained, and evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of all department programs and work.
• Ensure the department meets client outcome, safety, quality, and financial goals and objectives.
• Ensure the department’s adherence to all compliance requirements outlined in regulatory and/or applicable legal documents.
• Oversee the monitoring and/or audits of department programs to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures, and prepare information for regulatory agencies when required.
• Produce regular reports for the Director of Programs, Department Directors, funders, and regulatory agencies, as assigned.
• Participate in internal and external meetings and committees, as directed by the Deputy Director and Director or Programs.
• Collaborate with the Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development and the Property Management department to manage placements and annual tenant recertifications in the Below Market Rate program.
• Oversee the Reasonable Accommodation process, and ensure compliance with the Fair Housing Act.
• Participate in the development and maintenance of THC’s Rental Database.
• Oversee strategy, controls and procedures that provide operational and fiscal control of client financial programs.
• Oversee the agency’s grievance submission process and respond to client grievances, as necessary.
Modified Payment Program
• Oversee the Modified Payment Program (MPP) including housing placement and referral; rent collection; payment plans and enforcement of Pay & Stay Agreements; tenant/client financial transactions including data entry, generation of receipts and disbursements; tenant bank accounts; and databases.
• Maintain relationships with managers and landlords of non-THC operated buildings.
• Maintain strong collaboration with THC Property Management and Supportive Services Departments to ensure timely tenant referrals and rent collection.
• Work with the Human Services Administration to coordinate tenant/client referrals and delivery and return of County Adult Assistance Program (CAAP) benefits.
Representative Payee Program
• Oversee the Representative Payee Program including monthly budget approvals, check distribution, and client behavior management.
• Work with the Social Security Administration to coordinate delivery and return of benefits and ensure compliance with all legal requirements set forth for representative payee and money management services.
• Oversee administration of all subsidy programs including CAAP, La Voz, Tenant Representative, and others, as assigned.
• When necessary, oversee financial management, financial assistance approvals, and documentation compliance.
• BA/BS degree in Social Work or related field required; MA/MS degree in Social Work or related field strongly preferred. Experience in excess of the minimum requirements may be substituted for an advanced degree.
• Must have a minimum of 3 years of experience in a non-profit that includes working with diverse, low-income, multi-diagnosed, homeless and/or formerly homeless population.
• Must have a minimum of 3 years of proven leadership and hands-on experience managing staff and multiple programs with financial oversight.
• Must have a thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
• Must have an ability to produce and analyze reports consistently and accurately, and write business correspondence and agency policies/procedures.
• Must have the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees, clients, funders, governmental agencies, and the general public.
• Must have an ability to read, understand, apply language and concepts, and make independent decisions based on policies, governmental regulations, technical procedures, general business periodicals, professional journals, and contracts.
• Must have demonstrated analytical, critical thinking, problem-solving, strategic thinking, and planning skills.
• Must have conflict resolution experience.
• Must have demonstrated customer service skills.
• Must be results-oriented, highly organized, very detail-oriented, proactive, resourceful, able to manage multiple high-level projects with strict timetables, and have solid administrative follow-through while working in a fast-paced environment.
• Must have knowledge of San Francisco landlord-tenant law, terms of tenancy, general property management principles, and employment law.
• Must have a strong working knowledge of mental health and substance abuse issues.
• Must be able to understand rent pro-ration.
• Must have demonstrated experience in participating in budget development and management.
• Must have an understanding of the Harm Reduction model.
• Must read, communicate orally, and write in English.
• Must pass all post-contingency offer background checks, reference checks, and TB screening clearances.
How to Apply:
Submit a cover letter, resume and list of three references by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 15, 2017 via email to THC@walkeraac.com. Use the Subject Line: Director of Housing Services, THC. Documents must be Microsoft Word or PDF files only (PDF files preferred). Resume review begins immediately.Go Back to Job Listing…